Sunday, January 20, 2008

Educational Technology Still Life No. 1

I think I'll call this one....






The Only Thing We Have to Fear, is Fear, Itself.


A few highlights:
  1. The Mac my husband gave me for Chanukah. I've never used a Mac before. So far I haven't really approached the full extent of its capabilities.
  2. My husband's old digital camera. He has subsequently gotten a new one, so I'm allowed to muck around with the retired one.
  3. My nine year old son's iPod. He got it early last summer, right before we traveled to Southeast Asia. My husband downloaded the audio versions of the first six Harry Potter books so he (my son, I mean) had something to do on the plane and could "train" before Book 7 came out in July. (Jim Dale, by the way, who narrates all the books, is a marvel.) Me, I have no idea how to download anything onto it.
  4. Several blank disks, which I more or less know how to use.
  5. A "flash drive," which I've really wondered about for quite some time now.
  6. A "card reader," which again has always sparked a vague curiosity in me. At a distance.
  7. The manual for Adobe PhotoShop, which either we have on one of our other computers, or came installed on my Mac.
  8. Several other books, including The Muse in the Machine, which I found on the library shelves right near the Dummies' Guides to web design and whose cover I really liked. I just started it, but I can tell already it's my kind of book. Perhaps I'll write a review here once I've finished.
Wandering around the library shelves, catching a glimpse of a surprisingly different, very possibly misfiled, volume and taking it home to read it -- that's what "hyperlinking" looked like, not so very long ago.

Hyperlinking, now that I love.




Confronting Fear, Itself
Check out this Very Cool link to an audio clip of the actual inaugural speech.

I like this picture because there aren't so many that show Roosevelt in his wheelchair. It reminds me of the time a few years ago when we took the Guinea Pigs to Hyde Park, and my son Guinea Pig #2 was riveted by the chair, which Roosevelt had retrofitted from a regular straight-back caned chair.}

No comments: